Note: Sadly, we must announce that this year’s Triangle Scholarly Communication Institute will be canceled due to the ongoing uncertainty over the spread of Coronavirus/COVID-19 and the health, travel, and economic constraints related to it. Please see this announcement for more information.
The 2020 Triangle Scholarly Communication Institute will be held in downtown Durham, North Carolina, in the center of the Research Triangle area made up of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and home to several of the nation’s top research universities and high-tech, pharmaceutical, and “creative class” industries.
The main venue will be The Rickhouse, a historic tobacco building in Durham’s Central Park neighborhood that was recently renovated to an event space, with a large deck overlooking the historic Durham Athletic Park (setting for the film Bull Durham). SCI 2020 participants will have lodging at The Durham Hotel, in a renovated mid-century modern bank building, a short walk from the Rickhouse on Durham’s central square. Meals will be in nearby restaurants and the soon to be opened Durham Food Hall. Plans are in process to host some parts of the program at the newly renovated Durham Public Library downtown branch and/or other venues in historic downtown Durham.
More details will be posted here as they become available. For now, here are links to some key information:
- The Rickhouse web site and map
- The Durham Hotel web site and map
- Durham visitors information
- Downtown Durham information
- Durham Central Park information
- RDU Airport information and directions from RDU to The Durham Hotel
- Articles about the neighborhood and the hotel from the NY Times (a little out of date, but will give you an idea of the flavor)