The 2022 Triangle Scholarly Communication Institute was held in downtown Durham, North Carolina, in the center of the Research Triangle area made up of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and home to several of the nation’s top research universities and high-tech, pharmaceutical, and “creative class” industries. Other years of the SCI program were held at the Rizzo Center in Chapel Hill.
The main venue was The Rickhouse, a historic tobacco building in Durham’s Central Park neighborhood that was recently renovated to an event space, with a large deck overlooking the historic Durham Athletic Park (setting for the film Bull Durham). SCI 2022 participants had lodging at The Durham Hotel, in a renovated mid-century modern bank building, on Durham’s central square, a short walk from the Rickhouse. Meals were in nearby restaurants such as the Durham Food Hall or catered in to the meeting venue.
Links to some key information:
- The Rickhouse web site and map
- The Durham Hotel web site and map
- Durham visitors information
- Downtown Durham information
- Durham Central Park information
- RDU Airport information and directions from RDU to The Durham Hotel
- Articles about the neighborhood and the hotel from the NY Times (a little out of date, but will give you an idea of the flavor)